French Raspberry Tarts
The nice part about making these tarts is that there is room for variation as far as the crust and topping. When I’m seeking a more extravagant dessert, I’ll make a hazelnut shortbread crust, but when you want a nice dessert for everyday, plain pie crust will suffice.
French Raspberry Tarts (Tarte au Framboise)
Recipe Type: Desserts
Author: Kiano Moju
Serves: 8 Tarts
- Pastry Cream Recipe from, Pierre Franey
- 1 package pre-rolled pie crust
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 TBSP cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 pints fresh raspberries
- 1 TBSP sugar, for berries
- First bake the tart shells. Use the pre-rolled pie crust and fit into the tart molds.
- Poke holes in the bottom with a fork. Bake for 8 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- To make the pastry cream blend 1 cup of the milk & cream in a saucepan & bring to a boil.
- While the mixture is on the stove, beat the egg yolks & sugar in a bowl until it’s a pale yellow.
- Beat in the cornstarch, then 1/2 cup milk. Mix well until combined & smooth.
- Once milk has started to boil. Remove from the heat, and rapidly whisk in the egg mixture, pouring in slowly.Once the entire egg mixture in incorporated, return to the heat still rapidly whisking until the mixture has thickened at a boil.
- Remove from the heat & stir in the vanilla. Let the mixture cool at room temperature, you can stir occasionally to let the steam out. Chill in the fridge until ready to use.
- Wash your berries & combine with a tablespoon of sugar.
- Fill tart shells with pastry cream, then top with berries.