Spicy Zucchini Lasagne
Another holiday is among us that has all food lovers rejoicing. Yes, today is National Lasagna Day! There is only one way to celebrate this holiday by to enjoying one of the best casserole type meals there is (sorry to shepard’s pie).
Spicy Zucchini Lasagne
Recipe Type: Mains
Author: Kiano Moju
- 3 zucchini, trimmed of ends cut into thin ribbons, seasoned with a pinch of salt
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 4 cups fresh spinach (measured, then steam or sauté) (2 cups frozen)
- 1 egg
- 10 fresh basil leaves, plus additional for garnish
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 12 oz low-moisture mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1- 24 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 TBSP tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1-2 tsp red pepper flakes (depends on how spicy you want it)
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 TBSP sugar
- kosher salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- In a large saucepan over medium high heat, sauté onions in the olive oil, cooking until slightly translucent.
- Add in ground turkey & minced garlic, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Once the turkey meat has browned, add in red pepper flakes, sugar, basil & tomato paste.
- Pour in wine, then the crushed tomatoes.
- Cook until sauce is thick and fragrant. (aprox. 15 minutes). Adjust the seasoning (mainly salt if needed).
- In a medium sized bowl combine the ricotta, spinach, egg, & parmesan. Season with a pinch of salt & pepper.
- *Tip: For either defrosted or steamed spinach, be sure to squeeze out any extra liquid BEFORE adding to the ricotta mixture.
- Layer the lasagne starting with 1 cup of sauce to cover the bottom, then add the 1st layer of zucchini.
- Follow with half of the ricotta mix, then 1 (~ 1 1/4) cups of sauce. Add the 2nd zucchini layer and repeat this step using the remainder of the ricotta.
- For the final layer, lay the remainder of zucchini, followed by the remainder of the sauce.
- Arrange the mozzarella & cherry tomatoes. Loosely cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove the foil and allow to cook for and additional 10-15 minutes until the top is lightly browned and bubbly.
- Once removed from the oven, immediately garnish with a few small basil leaves